Death Penalty Opponents Promise to Keep Fighting To Abolish the Practice

The last few articles in The Daily Tar Heel concerning capital punishment are quite pathetic because they only display the lack of education of the writers concerning the death penalty. I encourage responsible advocates to investigate both sides of any controversial issue in order to make the most intellectual and worthy arguments. In yesterday's column regarding the death penalty ("Abolishing the Death Penalty Removes Individual Autonomy"), T.L. Moua presented an extremely unworthy argument, for example, stating that abolitionists accuse loved ones of murder victims of murder when seeking "justice" (what ever justice that is).

Please don't speak for me! What an offensive statement to me, as I am an abolitionist and a relative of a murder victim. I urge the writer to do some research before generalizing such a tender and emotional issue. But here is some research for Mr. Moua and Mr. Hoffman (concerning his Nov. 27 column "Death Row Inmates Treated in Too Humane Manner"): We, the abolitionists are not going away. We are moving forward this very minute. Your articles have not made us abandon what we are most passionate about. Hopefully, your articles have only inspired readers to research capital punishment - in this research, I assure you, you will find a reason to fight for abolition. We are not going away, guys, until the death penalty is no more.

Stephanie Hunter

Junior

Religious Studies