FBI Combats Cybercrime in Triangle

The National Infragard Program began on Monday in Raleigh.

The program, which has been in effect in Charlotte for about a year, is an Internet-based effort to provide companies with protection from computer intrusion and to keep data secure.

"We hope to get well over 100 members in the Research Triangle Park area," Chris Swecker, FBI special agent for N.C. operations, said at a press conference last week. "Eventually, we want to involve membership throughout the state."

Swecker said Infragard members will receive security software and will have access to cyberterrorism information from intelligence agencies worldwide.

There program will include a secure Web site where members can report cyber-attacks, find information about previous and recent intrusions, and look for ways to prevent them, Swecker said.

Swecker said tight security is necessary to prevent hackers from gaining access to secure information.

He also said it was important that companies are aware of the program's potential benefits. For example, Swecker said the program could prevent a hostile foreign intelligence service from wreaking havoc on local banking or telecommunications companies.

"If these types of businesses shut down all at the same time, it would be a national threat," Swecker said. "And what's scary is the attacker can be anyone from a 14-year-old in his basement working from a laptop to a hostile foreigner."

Doris Gardner, supervisory special agent for the N.C. computer crime squad, said there have been many attacks on companies already.

She said that when one business suffers an attack or intrusion, it has a negative impact on entire industries.

"Infragard is not just the Web site," Gardner said. "It's also the networking. Many businesses rely on each other and are affected by one another, so when one shuts down, they all suffer."

Cyber-attacks are becoming increasingly common, but only about 70 percent of intrusions are being reported, Swecker said.

He said businesses could save themselves a great deal of trouble if more attacks were reported.

"There are many common elements to a lot of attacks, and they don't just affect one business," Swecker said. "If we get early warning signals, we can help design some things to combat the virus and get information about it."

He added that according to a recent survey, three out of 700 businesses reported about $200 million in losses because of cybercrime.

Since the program's installment in Charlotte about a year ago, Swecker said the number of incidents reported in North Carolina has increased.

"Our goal is to create a national and international network to get all information in and get it back out and educate businesses," Swecker said.

But the program's success is dependent on individual companies, not the FBI, said Don McArthur, N.C. FBI special agent and head of Infragard in Raleigh. "The private industry makes this work, not (the FBI)," McArthur said. "We'll sponsor the program and help out with it, but there will be a board of directors to regulate it."

But Swecker said businesses that want to join must first go through an extensive background check. Infragard membership is not open to individuals.

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.