Students Can Help Shape UNC's Future At Tuesday Forum

As a student, I am generally frustrated when campus expansion is mandated by the University, and as students, we just have to accept what is sent down from "on high."

That is why I am so glad to be apart of a forum that actively seeks students' opinions that can change the face of this campus for the next 30 years.

On Tuesday, University officials will hold a student forum from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Chase Dining Hall to discuss a proposed facility that would be located at the current Ramshead parking lot. University officials and architects have been in the process of designing a parking garage where Ramshead parking lot is located, and the prospects are really quite

amazing.

The building would include permit and metered parking as well as dining facilities, a Harris Teeter, a bookstore and athletic facilities.

I've looked at the proposals, and I'm excited about the possibilities. The architects have proposed a facility with an indoor track, weight facilities and three athletic courts for recreational and intramural

purposes.

Not only will this facility help students on campus who always have to wait for courts and weight machines, but this also will help students who live off campus. Imagine being able to drive to a metered spot and, in one or two hours, having the ability to shop for books, eat a meal, buy groceries and work out or play some hoops.

As a commuter, I can honestly say that I would love to be able to do all of those things at one campus

location.

The forum will give students a chance to view a model for the building, and students will have a chance to express their ideas to - and ask questions of - the architects who have worked hard to design the building.

Bryan Hart

Junior

Business and Journalism and Mass Communication

Hart is vice president of the Carolina Athletic Association.