Students Riled Up by Marching Band

As the high school students warmed up outside of Spencer Residence Hall at about 9:30 a.m. that Saturday, housing officials and members of the band said residents cursed at the band from inside.

There also were reports that a resident threw a firecracker at the band members, and another UNC student threw an unopened soda can.

Rebecca Casey, assistant director of marketing for the Department of University Housing, said housing officials are still in the process of investigating exactly what happened.

Casey said she would not comment further until the matter had been fully explored, but she did say the housing department is concerned about whether any injuries occurred and what UNC students' motivations were.

Casey said it was likely that no one was hurt in the incident. "We have received no information about any injuries."

Hillside High School band director Xavier Carson said he understood the UNC students' behavior was a result of being awakened early on a Saturday morning. "No one was injured -- a few (band members) were frightened," he said. "I think it was just early in the morning and that is prime sleeping time."

Joe Murdoch, a sophomore who lives in Spencer, said the band made it impossible to sleep. "They were playing directly outside of my window, so I went and got the area director and they left," he said. "They were there for at least half an hour. Saturday is the only day I can sleep in, so I was upset."

But Carson said the parade marshal told him that his band could rehearse outside of Spencer.

Jared Layne, a senior trumpet player in the band, said the incident was upsetting but not detrimental to the band's morale. "It didn't affect our performance at all."

But the actions of some Spencer residents still left the band with a negative impression of UNC. Senior flag auxiliary Jennifer Moore said the UNC students' actions were crude and mean.

"I don't think anyone was hurt, but it was offensive," she said, "I'm not exactly sure what they said, but it involved lots of cursing. We were more angry than scared."