Transplant Recipient Inspires, Gives Thanks

It's a gratitude for the ability to breathe, a basic and often-taken-for-granted function UNC Hospitals doctors restored when Tolchin underwent a double lung transplant on April 13, 1997, after spending four years on the waiting list.

But there's also soft-spoken strength in his voice. A self-described fighter, Tolchin was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis at age 5. Doctors told the Tolchin family that Charlie should not expect to live past 8 years old -- he is now 32.

In a gesture that demonstrates both his gratitude and strength, Tolchin related his experiences with the recent publication of "Blow the House Down" (Writers Club Press, $14.95). Plain-spoken, honest and direct, the autobiography documents Tolchin's illness and recovery and has touched its readers whether they are in need of a similar transplant or not.

The book, and Tolchin's life by extension, makes full use of the "Three Little Pigs" allusion in the title. A seventh-grade hit-and-run victim, to whom the book is dedicated, provided him with a new set of lungs.

Because his previous lung capacity was only 30 percent, the transplant gave him a new lease on life.

"(The transplant) has given me a lot of oxygen, a lot of energy and a totally normal life now," he said. "Four years ago, I was at home working on my health, and now I can give something back to society."

Given a clean bill of health, Tolchin has caught up with lost time. Thanks to the efforts of UNC Hospitals, Tolchin can now continue his life without running out of breath. He plays ice hockey, lifts weights regularly and keeps an active social life.

But his vigorous lifestyle was intact even before his transplant. He said his positive, energetic point of view helped him to recover and to live with more ease.

"I think my attitude hasn't changed much. I'm a fighter, and I believe in working very hard to stay healthy, and a positive attitude pays off in (helping that along)."

Tolchin's story and vivacity struck a chord in many of the book's readership, as e-mails from readers ranging from fellow lung transplant survivors to those who are simply inspired flood Tolchin's inbox. Tolchin's book reads as both a guide for people facing a double-lung transplant and a reminder that research monies and the organ donor box on your driver's license do matter.

"I'm here because people raised money for (medical) research and agreed to be a donor -- I don't think people realize that a golf tournament for lupus means something, and it does," he said.

In late 1996, Tolchin moved to Chapel Hill to wait for a donor, go through surgery and begin physical therapy, a process that lasted eight months. Rather than sit and wait, he immersed himself in Chapel Hill culture in the interim -- seeing shows at Cat's Cradle, haunting Caribou Coffee, dating often and falling in love with Chapel Hill's sense of community.

"I think Chapel Hill is a great town," he said. "I just felt like I ate my way through the Triangle."

Although his home is in Washington, D.C., Tolchin still returns to Chapel Hill for yearly checkups and for reunions with his doctors and fellow successful transplant survivors each spring.

Although he has scars from the operation, Tolchin's life has regained a sense of normalcy. With the operation and the experience behind him, Tolchin has gone on with his life with a great fondness for those that helped him draw new breath.

"I'm filled with an incredible sense of gratitude for the whole thing," he said. "I feel very close to those doctors, nurses and physical therapists --