Ballots To Lack GPSF Presidential Candidate

Board of Elections Chairman Jeremy Tuchmayer said if a write-in candidate does not come through and the office is left unfilled, there would have to be a special election called by Student Body President Brad Matthews.

After a meeting for student election candidates Tuesday, members of the Board of Elections reported no students interested in filling the GPSF position.

"No one has gotten in touch with me about running for that office," Tuchmayer said.

The term of the current GPSF president, third-year law student Thad Woody, expires on the first Tuesday of April. Woody, who graduates in May, will not be running again but said he believes someone will eventually step up to the role. "I feel sure that some ambitious soul will step forward somewhere along the line," Woody said.

Woody, who was a write-in candidate in last year's election, said he ran because "quite honestly, no one else did."

But Woody said he is optimistic about finding a candidate. "It can certainly be done at the last minute, because (my friends and I) did it at the last minute," he said.

Tuchmayer, who is also unconcerned about the currently vacant ballot, said a requirement for graduate students to seek adviser approval might have delayed some students in declaring their candidacy. "Generally, graduate students have to get permission from their advisers before taking on extracurriculars such as this," Tuchmayer said.

At this point, a graduate student might still run, but his name will not appear on the ballot. Any hopefuls will have to run though the write-in process.

Lee Connor, last year's GPSF president, has confidence in the write-in system. "Somebody will get elected by write-in, which isn't that uncommon," he said.

Conner said potential graduate student candidates might be taking some time to pursue this role because the office requires a high level of commitment.

"It's a very demanding office," he said. "You're trying to represent over 9,000 people."

The duties of the president include appointing an Officer's Committee and Cabinet, running Senate meetings and representing the GPSF at University functions.

Woody said any interested students should contact Tuchmayer.

Conner also said that beyond basic responsibilities, the president must have a plan of action. "Part of being a good president is having goals and projects that you want to get accepted and going after them with a lot of enthusiasm," he said. "But I think it's well worth it."