Band to March in Inaugural Parade

A surprise phone call two weeks ago has set off a flurry of activity as the UNC marching band prepares to participate in the presidential inauguration.

The Marching Tar Heels received an invitation from the presidential inauguration committee to join the 36 public bands performing in the Jan. 20 inaugural parade in Washington, D.C.

"I was obviously delighted and honored that we were chosen," said Jeffrey Fuchs, director of the Marching Tar Heels, about the invitation to serve as the sole representative from North Carolina.

Fuchs said the hard work of the 305 band members and a positive image as a first-class organization helped in the band's selection.

"I encourage students all the time to be mindful of the image they present to the public because it might come back in positive ways like this," he said.

Fuchs also said the band's participation in athletic events gives it nationwide attention.

"Primarily, the exposure that the band gets is related to athletics, especially football and basketball," Fuchs said.

And the Marching Tar Heels are not strangers to performing on a national level.

Fuchs said the band has attended three Final Fours in the past four years and marched in the famous Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in 1993.

This experience has been crucial during the recent planning process that Fuchs describes as a "major logistical nightmare."

"It has been and will continue to be an amazing two weeks," he said. "It's only 10 days away."

The band's members received notice of their upcoming plans through an e-mail Fuchs sent during Winter Break.

While excitement for the event has increased, physical preparation for the parade did not begin until the first practice, held Tuesday night.

During that practice, the band received the music they will perform.

"We're also going to have a couple practices for marching," said Bobby Rathdone, a senior drum major.

"We will use more of a military march than a fun-and-games type of march used for sporting events."

Fuchs and members of the band expressed confidence that they will be prepared for the parade.

Rathdone said, "It's an incredible privilege to go to Washington and march in front of the president and show him what we can do."