Basnight, Black Retain Leadership

RALEIGH -- State legislators decided Wednesday to stick with the status quo, re-electing Sen. Marc Basnight as Senate speaker pro tem and Rep. Jim Black as House speaker.

Both votes, on the opening day of the N.C. General Assembly, were unanimous -- to the surprise of some political observers.

Black, D-Mecklenburg, faced several other candidates trying to lead the nearly split House -- leading some to question if he could win.

A coalition formed in 1999 of Republicans and black Democrats, unhappy with the distribution of power in the House, nearly defeated Black when he first ran for speaker.

But possible opponents, including Minority Leader Leo Daughtry, R-Johnston, backed down this year -- leaving Black as the sole candidate.

Daughtry was the only other person nominated for the post but declined to run, citing the Republicans' minority presence in the House.

The Republicans hold 58 seats compared to the 62 in the Democratic column.

Black, in his victory speech, said he would work to build bipartisanship in the House. "We must learn to live together and share power."

Black said last week that he would offer to make some Republicans co-chairmen of committees -- much like the power-sharing agreement in the U.S. Senate -- if he were re-elected.

Black also addressed the challenges facing the state legislature this session, including the $486 million budget deficit, needed school improvements and redrawing district lines.

He admitted the tight budget would limit new programs. "Every office, department and agency must be ready to justify its budget," Black said.

He also said the legislature would examine a state lottery as a "partial solution" to the shortfall.

Gov. Mike Easley has declared his support for a lottery and said he would use the proceeds to fund education.

Black, noting strong legislative opposition to the lottery, said there still was a need to cut spending through better budget management.

But the race for Senate president pro tem was never in doubt, as Basnight, D-Dare, claimed his fifth straight term at the helm of the Senate.

Basnight was the only senator nominated for the post.

And while the Senate's opening did not receive as much attention as the House, it was more historic. For the first time in N.C. history a woman, Lt. Gov. Beverly Perdue, sat as Senate president.

In his opening address, Basnight preached the same ideas that have been a popular topic for other politicians --