Bunting Completes Hirings

Powell spent the last five years as an assistant coach at Virginia, coaching wide receivers and running backs.

"His connection with (UNC offensive coordinator) Gary Tranquill is important because of his knowledge of the offensive system," Bunting said. "Andre has coached other positions, but his specialty is coaching running backs.

"He is committed to developing backs that run well, block well, catch the ball out of the backfield and most importantly, place an emphasis on ball security. He was a tough, hard-nosed player and will be the same as a coach."

Powell has coached several former Cavaliers who currently play in the NFL, including tailback Tiki Barber and wide receivers Germane Crowell and Terrence Wilkins. Barber is currently the starting tailback for the Super Bowl-bound New York Giants.

"I'm excited about coming to North Carolina and working again with Coach Tranquill," Powell said. "I understand the terminology of his offense and it should be an easy transition. I came down to interview and after seeing the campus and meeting Coach Bunting, there was no question that I wanted to be here."

Powell coached running backs during his first season at UVa., in 1996, then tutored the wide receivers for three years before returning to teach the running backs last season.

He came to UVa. from Army where he was the running backs coach in 1995.

Clay Matthews, who served as an assistant strength coach at ECU last season, was also hired as an assistant strength coach.

Hathaway Named Swimmer of Week

Katie Hathaway earned ACC swimmer of the week honors after leading No. 9 North Carolina to a 175-125 win at No. 12 Virginia on Saturday.

Hathaway started the meet by swimming the breaststroke leg on the first-place 200-yard medley relay team. She went on to win the 100-yard breaststroke and the 200-yard breaststroke. She also won the 200-yard individual medley.

UNC play host to No. 16 Maryland on Saturday at 11 a.m. at Koury Natatorium.

Sesay Wins Honor, Earns NCAA Spot

UNC senior Ola Sesay was named the ACC Women's Indoor Performer of the Week after posting a first-place and NCAA-automatic-qualifying mark of 20-11 3/4 in the long jump at Virginia Tech this weekend.

She also posted a time of 8 minutes, 52 seconds in the 60-meter hurdles, which is the fastest time in the league this season. Sesay is the first Tar Heel of the season to earn a trip to the NCAA championships.

UNC travels to State College, Pa. for the Penn State Invitational which runs Jan. 26-27.