Bush Appointments and Policies Mean Diversity, Inclusion for U.S.

But he is making decisions and setting an agenda to benefit every single American. Bush is in the final moments of his transition to the White House and already has established himself as a "uniter, not a divider."

After his victory over Vice President Al Gore, Bush began to create the most solid foundation any president has ever assembled. His Cabinet nominees are a political dream team filled with talent and expertise.

It did not take an affirmative action program for the new president to nominate the most diverse administration in the history of the United States, disproving the radicals who said the diversity of the convention was a sham.

Most importantly, the nominees -- from General Colin Powell, to Peace Corps head Elaine Chao, to National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice -- are not serving because of their diversity. Bush appointed them because of their merit, intelligence, ideas and experience.

Bush has assembled a team of administrators that looks like America. It embodies the leadership and expertise to assist the president-elect in any situation.

Unfortunately, envious radicals are trying desperately to shift the spotlight from the positive, progressive appointments toward partisan propaganda. This attempt comes in the form of an attack on attorney general nominee John Ashcroft. Arguments against the former senator from Missouri are ludicrous. Before serving in the U.S. Senate, he held numerous state-level positions, including attorney general of Missouri.

Much of the criticism against Ashcroft is because he voted against one of Clinton's federal judicial appointments. His vote was based upon the merit of the individual, not because he was a minority. In fact, Ashcroft voted for 26 of 28 black people Clinton nominated for judicial positions. Additionally, he showed leadership by recognizing Martin Luther King Jr. Day as a state holiday while serving as the governor of Missouri. The attacks are from fringe radicals attempting to mask the powerful and diverse administration Bush is compiling.

President-elect Bush campaigned on the idea that he was a "compassionate conservative" who cared about making sure people of all races and walks of life assisted in governing this nation. Critics said he was merely putting on a show at the Philadelphia convention; nevertheless, he has followed through on his promise of inclusion when selecting his new administration.

Similarly, he is being pressured by desperate opposition to go back on his promise of tax cut proposals. Once again, Bush is making plans to keep his promise to America.

He will propose tax-rate reduction designed to help every individual in our nation. It will lower the percentage of income citizens must pay to the federal government.

Every American of every social class, race, religion and ideology will be allowed to keep more of his or her money.

Inclusion? The tax-rate percentage cut is not targeted to any one class or group of people. You (regardless of who is reading) will have more money in your account; that is inclusive.

The tax cuts and all of Bush's domestic agenda should be proposed and a large portion of it should be accepted. Some of his critics accuse the president-elect of not being overly intelligent. Good! They can accuse a man of high intellect who graduated from Yale as being slow.

One of the best tools one could have politically is to be underestimated. He has the mental, personal and political skills to run this great nation. He should be able to expect some help from the Republican-controlled House of Representatives and Senate (with a Cheney tie break) in passing his domestic and foreign agenda.

It is also very likely that Bush will succeed in soliciting Democratic support in many cases -- just as he did as governor of Texas.

A mandate has been given to him to push his ideas just as every president is given a mandate. He campaigned and won on a platform of ideas; he has no choice but to govern according to those ideas.

Accusations of a "lack of a mandate" is rhetoric from political opposition that resents the fact that he has been entrusted with control of the White House.

President-elect Bush will be criticized by the extremists in America but will prove to be a fighter for all.

He will work for a better nation, filled with hope and vision and a better world full of freedom and peace.

He is an outsider to Washington, D.C. who can change the partisan cutthroat tone and reestablish a functional, optimistic government that will fill every American with pride.

Brad Overcash is a sophomore political science and history major. Reach him with any questions or comments at Brad_Overcash@unc.edu.