Bush Must Govern His Way

Because of the manner in which Bush won the election - losing the popular vote to Vice President Al Gore and narrowly winning the Electoral College following the Supreme Court's ruling over Florida - many feel Bush has no real mandate. (Some liberals jokingly threatened to move to Canada.) There were mass protests by Democrats about the election in Florida and Washington, D.C. During the inauguration of the 106th Congress this month, the Congressional Black Caucus even went so far as to protest Bush's right to assume the presidency.

President Bill Clinton recently jumped on the bandwagon, asserting that he felt Gore was the true victor. The dissenting voices are, in effect, working to decrease Bush's ability to govern even before he enters office.

Many Democrats feel that because the Texas Republican won by so narrow a margin, he is obligated to make huge compromises and concessions while in office. Bush should not do this, and liberals should realize that it would be wrong for him to do so.

Regardless of Bush's margin of victory, or even lack thereof, he campaigned on certain issues, made key promises, and was elected to the office of president. Whether Democrat or Republican, it should be understood that people voted for Bush based on those issues. Bush cannot afford to abandon his ideas and principles simply because he narrowly won the election.

Making too many compromises and concessions would not only cast Bush as a man not willing to stick to his guns, but it would also alienate his staunch Republican base, the majority of whom voted for Bush. He would have no hope of re-election in 2004.

In the aftermath of election 2000, Bush would do well to carry on his agenda the best way he sees fit. He should promote his ideas for education reform, such as revamping the Title I program, whereby schools would be required to pass stringent standards, or pass on their public money to parents.

This education reform idea is in no way perfect and might prove to be a disaster, but Bush should have the right to pursue this venture whether he won by one vote or one million votes.

If Bush believes tax cuts will benefit the slowing economy, he also should advocate the implementation of that idea. If this works, then it works. But Bush should not abandon an issue he campaigned on in the absence of a strong mandate. Governing is about ideas, and Bush must govern according to the best ideas he has.

Bush's ideas of privatizing Social Security, stricter enforcement of gun-control laws and construction of a missile defense system also should not be lost due to the results and circumstances of the election.

The president-elect already is facing obstacles and opposition. This has become quite clear in the opposition by most Democrats to many of the appointments Bush has made in attempting to form his Cabinet.

Considerable opposition has been mounting against attorney general nominee John Ashcroft, a former Missouri senator. Liberals protest that Ashcroft is too far to the right, citing instances such as a speech Ashcroft delivered at conservative Christian Bob Jones University, perhaps forgetting that Bush himself also delivered a speech at the same university during the campaign.

Doesn't it make sense that Bush would appoint people to his Cabinet who think along the same ideological lines as himself? Ashcroft's appointment should be confirmed or denied based on his ability to do the job, not whether he is a Christian.

Almost the same situation is occurring with regards to interior secretary-designate Gale Norton. Many liberals are protesting the Colorado attorney general's position of oil drilling in the arctic. She has said that she would support limited drilling in this area. When Bush was questioned, he responded by saying, "Why would that disqualify her? After all, that's the position I took."

Unless there is something terribly wrong or troubling about a Cabinet appointee, then confirmation should not be an issue. After all, when Clinton was elected, he was expected to appoint Cabinet members who believed in his ideas. Clinton did just that, and he effectively governed this nation for eight years.

George W. Bush must be given the same opportunities to govern as he sees fit, and to do the job he was elected to do. If everything he attempts to accomplish is blocked by partisan politics based on the idea of a mandate, then we should all move to Canada.

Wesley White is a senior history

and economics major from Lenoir.

For directions to Canada, e-mail him

at wsw@email.unc.edu.