Cartoonist Takes Low Blow at Greek Community Members

I must voice the particular offense I took to Scott Rooker's editorial cartoon "Frat Boy Action Figures" published in the Jan. 25 paper.

As a member of the Greek community, I laugh at the majority of the DTH cartoons that poke fun at the "fratty" style.

However, the line between opinion and defamation must be respected.

At first glance Rooker's cartoon appeared just as harmless as any other, until I reached his caption: "Jeep and cocaine sold separately!"

I feel Rooker has crossed the aforementioned line!

Rooker could have substituted a number of relevant qualities such as "frat flops, bow ties, or Oakleys sold separately."

Instead, he opted for a low blow, thus shifting his theme from humor to malice.

I dig my "fratty" style, I like my Croakies (by the way, there's an "a" in Croakie), and I love my Jeep.

However, I do not condone the use of cocaine.

Rooker failed to consider the strong sense of association and brotherhood upon which the Greek community relies.

Therefore, his unfounded and generalized claim that cocaine is as integral a part of the fraternity system as Dave Matthews Band inherently suggests that my friends do cocaine!

Furthermore, when I pull up to my fraternity's house in a Jeep, what is to stop a passer-by from assuming that since I fit the first two criteria of Rooker's cartoon, I fit the third?

The DTH cartoons targeted at the Greek community are drafted by individuals on the outside, looking in through clouded glass.

Any journalist wishing to voice an opinion, whether via cartoon or column, bears the responsibility of doing so while remaining within the bounds of slander.

Cocaine is not a fraternity staple.

Rooker's cartoon crossed the line from humorous opinion to slanderous accusation, which merits a written apology to our campus Greeks.

Scott Morgan

Sophomore

Business and Music

Kappa Alpha Fraternity