Freshmen Can Now Get the Scoop Online

Freshman Central provides first-year students with academic tips, dates for campus events, transportation information, links to other Web sites, entertainment news and more.

Freshmen Matt Tepper and Rebekah Burford were co-chairmen of the FFC's development of the Web site, which served as the group's first major project.

The FFC is a diverse group of 10 first-year students chosen through an intensive application and interview process in the fall semester to represent the interests of first-year students, Tepper said.

The Web site is run by freshmen to share experiences and address questions asked by other freshmen.

"The reason why we did it is that a lot of information can be gotten from the University, but a lot of it is dispersed," Burford said.

Through the Web site information is easily available to students, she said.

"It is one place where students can know what is going on from a freshman perspective," Tepper said.

Tepper said the Web site will be updated frequently to provide up-to-date information about area happenings, club dates, restaurant reviews and other events.

Everything from course drop and add deadlines to news about nightlife to information on Triangle-area activities is posted on the site.

The Web site also features a forum where students can write back and forth and share helpful tips with their peers.

To promote the new site, an e-mail will be sent to all freshman later this week with a link to the Web site, Tepper said. A link to Freshman Central also can be found on the UNC Web site.

Sue Kitchen, vice chancellor for student affairs, said she worked with the FFC to help them receive funding and support for the Web site.

"The Freshmen Focus committee has been great," Kitchen said. "It is a good way for freshmen to be involved."

She said the Web site seemed like the next step after members of the FFC presented many creative ideas.

Kitchen said she supported the Web site because freshmen often have questions and don't know where to find answers.

Interested students can find Freshmen Central at http://www.unc.edu/freshmancentral.