Greek Affairs Head Hunt Down to 2 Men

The finalists, Jay Anhorn and Stevan Veldkamp, both currently hold positions dealing with Greek affairs at their respective universities.

Anhorn is assistant director of student activities at Coastal Carolina University. Veldkamp is senior assistant director of student activities and leadership programs at Western Michigan University.

"We had a narrowing screening committee of faculty, staff and students and interviewed six candidates by phone," said Cynthia Wolf Johnson, associate vice chancellor for student affairs, who heads the search committee.

"We narrowed it down to three, and then one declined."

Although Wolf Johnson earlier said the goal was to have a new director chosen by Feb. 1, she said the committee is now aiming as close to that date as possible.

"Chances are it's going to be a little later than that," she said. "Our hope is for mid-February at this point."

Wolf Johnson said the search has been publicized by advertising through several national professional association Web sites. Committee members also wrote to potential candidates and listservs.

"We're bringing candidates into campus the week of Jan. 22 to interview," Wolf Johnson said. The interviews will be followed by a series of forums where students can meet Anhorn and Veldkamp and ask questions.

Since the resignation of former Greek Affairs Director Ron Binder in mid-October, Aaron Nelson has filled the interim post. Nelson said the search for his replacement is aimed to find experienced candidates.

"They are looking nationally for people who do this as a profession," Nelson said. "I think our Greek community deserves the best."

And Lamar Mack, president of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity, Inc., said the lack of permanent leadership was not having a detrimental effect on UNC's Greek community.

"Aaron has been very helpful to all the Greek leaders," Mack said. "There hasn't been any negative effect on Greek life."

Of the two forums that will be held for each of the final candidates, one forum will be open to the entire University community and another will be just for students.

The forums for Anhorn will be on Jan. 22. The forum at 1:30 p.m. in Union 224 is open to everyone, and the one at 4 p.m. at the Alpha Chi Omega sorority house is just for students.

For Veldkamp, there will be a forum for students at 4:30 p.m. on Jan. 23 at a location to be announced later, and a forum open to everyone will be at 1:30 p.m. on Jan. 24 in Union 224.