Gymnastics Wins First Meet of Year

UNC senior Brooke Wilson placed first on all apparatuses, and the Tar Heels took the top four spots in the all-around.

Wilson finished first in the all-around (39.375) by virtue of her top finishes on vault (9.8250), uneven bars (9.775), balance beam (9.925) and floor (9.850).

Junior Monica Middleton placed second in the all-around with a score of 38.150. Middleton finished fourth on balance beam with a 9.575 and fifth on floor with a 9.575.

Junior Lisa Companioni finished third in the all-around competition with a score of 38.125. Companioni placed second on vault (9.750), sixth on bars (9.550) and third on beam (9.600).

Maddy Curley placed fourth in the all-around with a score of 37.925. Curley placed fourth on bars with a 9.600 and third on floor with a 9.700.

UNC travels to Maryland on Friday to compete against Towson at Towson Center beginning at 7 p.m.

Swimming and Diving Down Tigers

The nationally ranked North Carolina swimming and diving teams defeated Clemson on Friday at McHugh Natatorium in Clemson, S.C.

The seventh-ranked UNC women's team (5-1, 2-0 in the ACC) won nine of the 13 contested events and set two pool records to beat the Tigers 153-90.

The 14th-ranked Tar Heel men's team (4-1, 2-0) won 11 of 13 events and set a pool record to defeat the Tigers 164-79.

Erika Acuff and Chris Helin earned ACC swimmer of the week honors after both captured three events against the Tigers.

The North Carolina men and women travel to Charlottesville, Va., on Saturday to face the 11th-ranked Cavaliers.

Wrestling Drops Two Matches

The North Carolina wrestling team lost its first two matches Friday at the Virginia Duals in Hampton,Va. UNC dropped a close match to Cal-State Bakersfield 18-17 and fell in its opening round match to Kent State 25-9.

Mike Booth (141 pounds) and Corey Bell (174) each scored major decisions for the Tar Heels against Cal-State Bakersfield. Brad Byers (133), JohnMark Bentley (149) and Nick Richmond (184) each won their matches by decision.

In the Tar Heels' loss to Kent State. UNC's Bentley (149) defeated Mike Tolar 9-7, and Bell (174) took a 6-3 victory over Jack Hageman. Chris DiGuiseppe (157) was also successful against the Golden Flashes, defeating Steve Bittinger 8-5.