Laura Bush Taking Traditional Role, Not Being Trophy

Because of her choice to take a more traditional role as first lady, the cartoon depicted Laura Bush oppressed by her husband. This is clearly not the case. Laura Bush is not a politician, nor was she elected president. Her role as first lady should not be equivalent to that of the president, and that being said she does indeed "know her place."

As a former librarian, Mrs. Bush will adopt the more traditional platform that embodies her passion: literacy. A first lady fervently dedicated to a program in which she can realistically make a difference in America may put her at risk of appearing traditional and oppressed. However, this is more commendable than a first lady attempting to tackle a massive project such as health care reform at which she will fail miserably, yet look like a progressive woman.

Although Hillary Clinton was an outspoken and public first lady, she did not set a precedent for future first ladies to follow. Laura Bush is her own woman and implying that she is not as good because she chooses to follow in the footsteps of more conventional first ladies is unfair. Being a "traditional woman" is not selling out, as this cartoon makes it seem.

The media constantly bombards the public with images such as this implying that by shaving her legs, wearing a dress, changing her name when she marries and staying home with her children, a woman is surrendering to masculine oppression. Conventionality is not synonymous with subservience.