Lobbying Day Raises Funding, Support Questions for ASG

ASG officials estimated Monday that the Feb. 20 event would cost $12,910 if 1,400 students participate.

But ASG officials are still hoping that 2,000 to 2,500 students will participate, potentially increasing the cost to $20,000.

Harold Pettigrew, N.C. State University student body president, questioned the dedication of the system schools to the lobbying day.

"I'm not seeing a full commitment by all the universities," Pettigrew said. "This is supposed to be an initiative across the state, not just one or three schools."

N.C. State plans to send 700 students -- more than seven times the number from other schools -- and provide $5,000 in funding.

Chris McClure, UNC-Chapel Hill's lone delegate, said at least 40 UNC-CH students would attend but did not say how much money the school would provide.

Pettigrew asked that other universities set a minimum amount to contribute before he could request funding from the N.C. State Student Senate.

But no other school could determine how much money it could contribute.

Charles Lawley III, an N.C. State delegate who is working to organize the lobbying day, said commitment from other schools is vital for the request's approval.

"Our Senate will not pass a bill for $5,000 if no other school is going to contribute to this," Lawley said.

But ASG President Andrew Payne said he believes all the schools are firmly committed. "There are some schools here who have a hard problem paying their dues (to ASG)," Payne said. "But everybody here has made the commitment and will do their part."

He said schools would bring what they could -- including people, which are central to the event's success.

Payne said a large student turnout would build credibility and leverage with legislators. "It will show them that we're not going to stand around idly passing motions," he said. "But we're going to make sure those motions are carried out."

ASG delegates also selected three resolutions -- including a student vote on the Board of Governors -- for lobbying legislators.

The other two issues call for funding a need-based financial aid program and a 6 percent faculty salary increase.

ASG officials said they are fairly confident the state legislature will approve full student representation on the BOG. One student, the ASG president, sits on the board but is not a voting member.

Payne said students in 27 states sit on governing bodies and are voting members in 22 states, improving the odds for a student vote on the BOG.

David Chesley, ASG vice president of public affairs, also said the student BOG vote is likely to pass. "It looks to me like the BOG vote is looking strong," Chesley said. "It is being introduced in a long session at the beginning. It should be stronger than it's ever been."

Sen. Ellie Kinnaird, D-Orange, proposed a similar bill in 1999, which failed because the bill was introduced too late in the term for committees to review it, Payne said.

But Chesley admitted the other initiatives would face a difficult time in the legislature due to budget problems.

The state is running a $486 million budget deficit this fiscal year.

"Legislators have been receptive to the proposals but cautious given the economic condition of the state," Chesley said.

Payne said the future of ASG rests on the success of Student Day at the Capitol.

"The whole credibility of this institution hinges on this day."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.