Locally Run Redeye Makes Mark on Southeast Music

To find one of the biggest, most active outgrowths of the Chapel Hill music scene, you have to head to some warehouse space 30 miles west in Graham.

There lies Redeye Distribution, named the 1999 Independent Distributor of the Year in its division by the National Association of Recording Merchandisers.

In fewer than five years, Redeye has grown from a regional to a national distributor of more than 3,000 titles, including music by Widespread Panic, Guster and Pat McGee.

"We started in Chapel Hill," co-owner Glenn Dicker said. "My partner Tor Hansen basically started it in his house and started dealing with local stores.

"Then it moved to a basement, and then to a full house for the company. We just moved out to Graham to find inexpensive warehouse space."

Through the course of those moves, Redeye has grown into a national distributor, selling CDs to retailers across the country. It also manufactures CDs and has an in-house record label, Yep Roc.

"Our primary function is as a distributor of independent music," said Dicker.

Dicker attributed the company's rapid growth to its willingness to distribute music by artists without labels as well as bands signed by independent labels.

"(About) 99.9 percent of distributors won't accept unsigned bands," Dicker said. Labels usually work out distribution contracts, as well as promoting musicians, which Redeye does only for its Yep Roc bands.

"We originally focused on product that was self-released, stuff like Gran Torino and Jupiter Coyote, stuff that could sell a lot on a regional level."

The Mayflies USA of Chapel Hill were an unsigned band that distributed its first EP via Redeye before signing with the Yep Roc, said Adam Price, the band's bassist.

"I think (Redeye)'s definitely an asset (to the Chapel Hill music scene)," he said. "It's the biggest Southeastern distributor, and a lot of people who might not have access to distribution do."

When unsigned bands cannot work with a distributor, they have to deal directly with record stores, said Kurt Thurheimer, manager of Schoolkids Records on Franklin Street.

"For local bands that (Redeye) carries like Tyfu, it's a lot easier for us to call up Redeye and order 30 copies than work with bands on a consignment basis."

But Price added that Redeye is sometimes limited by the fact that it is an independent distributor. "There's only so much they can do, and they have to rely on other independents out West," he said. An advantage, though, is "the fact that you have personal contact with them."

Big Ass Truck, a band from Memphis, has worked with Redeye since 1997. Vocalist and guitarist Robby Grant, who has also released a solo album on Yep Roc, said that "Redeye seems to be geared towards bands that tour."

Grant said one of the biggest obstacles smaller bands face is "making sure that (the album) is in the record stores ... (Redeye) can get it in the stores, and they're really good about getting it in prominent places, like it'll pop up on amazon.com."

As well as lengthening the reach of bands, Redeye has managed to expand the scope of what local music stores can carry, Thurheimer said.

"Redeye's given us access to bands that are not local but regional bands who wouldn't travel to Chapel Hill to bring us CDs."

Dicker emphasized Redeye's commitment to regional music of any genre even as the company continues to grow, especially through the Yep Roc label.

"It's been 75 percent local bands," he said, citing acts like the Comas and the Mayflies USA. "We're trying to put out stuff that personally interests us."

But the ability to sell, whether on a local or national level, is the one requirement Redeye has for music it agrees to distribute.

"We're not trying to be hipsters or trend-setters," he said. "We basically focus on the stuff that people want the most of."

Dicker feels Redeye has built a strong foundation and will continue to sell more records and grow, yet will continue to concentrate on independent music.

"Working with independent music in general is sort of like being in the trenches, being on the front line," Dicker said. "(Independent musicians) are making the best music, the long-lasting, trendsetting kind of thing."

"It's an exciting place to be." Even in Graham.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.