N.C. WARN Stages Protest Vigil

N.C. Waste Awareness and Reduction Network led the crowd Tuesday, urging Chatham County Commissioners to call for public hearings about Carolina Power & Light Co.'s nuclear waste storage expansion.

About 100 people cheered speakers outside the Chatham County Courthouse and carried signs reading, "Don't Waste Chatham" and "Not in My Nest." Several protesters operated a giant bird puppet, while another dressed up as a bird.

"I just feel that CP&L is being irresponsible," said Jan Burger of Bynum, who managed to walk on stilts while dressed as a bird. "They feel they can do what they want so they can have higher profits without being accountable to people or the environment. It's why I'm here dressed as a big bird."

Orange County officials and activists called for open hearings about the possible safety and environmental risks associated with increased waste storage at CP&L's Shearon Harris Nuclear Power Plant. "We don't want to live under the cloth of scientific uncertainty," N.C. WARN Director Jim Warren told the crowd.

Warren said N.C. WARN held the rally to call politicians' attention to the situation, recognizing support from Sen. John Edwards, D-N.C. and Rep. David Price, D-N.C. "In particular we're trying to let the Chatham County Commissioners know the public cares," Warren said.

"We also want to draw attention and thank Senator John Edwards and Congressman David Price for their efforts," Warren continued. "They have the ability and power to change this. We're hopeful they'll hear us."

N.C. WARN member Rev. Carrie Bolton said the group simply wants CP&L to agree to public hearings about the expansion.

"We have for two years been trying to get hearings on the expansion project to open to the public the scientific evidence that shows the high risk involved," Bolton said. "What we're hoping for tonight is that the commissioners will pass a resolution supporting open hearings."

Bolton said she is not necessarily against the expansion, but first she wants CP&L to work with the public. Bolton also questions why CP&L will not agree to hearings. "If the plant is so safe, why not have open hearings?" he asked.

But Jeannie Bonds of CP&L said the company keeps its actions in the public view. "The NRC has a process that we've followed the past two years," she said. "We feel that it is an open process."

N.C. WARN members also raised concerns about the methods of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. In December the NRC staff approved CP&L's expansion despite the fact that the NRC's Atomic Safety and Licensing Board was still considering whether to allow an environmental impact study. "Our contention at this point is that the NRC appears pro-industry," Bolton said.

Warren agreed, asking the crowd for help convincing the NRC to withdraw its approval.

"We may need your help wrestling that report from the NRC," Warren said. "Let's ring those bells."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.