Partobject Gallery Spotlights Contemporary Photography

"It's important, we think, to support artists who are alive," explained Kathy Hudson, co-owner of Partobject. She added that many artists are trying to make a living and do not receive the coverage their talent merits.

Hudson opened the small, sparsely furnished gallery on Weaver Street in November 1998 with her brother, New York art critic and curator Diego Cortez. It was their unified vision and cooperation that led to the gallery's creation and unique way of handling exhibits.

"We don't represent artists. We buy their work and show it," then resell it to interested buyers, Hudson said. "We aren't trying to make any type of statement, we just want to make it interesting."

The black and white pictures of Japanese photographers Osamu Kanemura and Erika Yoshino currently adorn the walls of Partobject. Hanging by silver push-pins, the photos convey the chaos and complexities of life in Tokyo. This exhibit will continue until Jan. 27.

Starting Feb. 10, the gallery will display filmmaker and photographer Ari Marcopoulos' "Summit," a showcase of snowboarding culture.

Marcopoulos traveled with top snowboarders in order to trap the essence of the snowboarding world. He will be present during a reception at the gallery on the exhibit's opening day.

Hudson said she hoped the Summit exhibit, with its easily accessible subject matter, would appeal to both photography connoisseurs and those not so familiar with the art world.

Partobject averages six exhibits a year, Hudson said. The gallery plans to display works by local photographers such as UNC assistant art professors Tammy Rae Carland and Elin Slavick.

Recent exhibits include computer-generated visual and audio works by media artist and famed music producer Brian Eno, and photographs by Richard Prince.

www.partobject.com provides background information for current artists, and directions to the gallery. Partobject is open noon to 6 p.m. Monday to Friday and 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor

can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.