Possible Plan for Fields Causes Student Concern

The Ramshead Parking Lot is scheduled to undergo construction this spring, creating a multi-level parking deck.

But University planners say it is too soon to be concerned because no one is sure where the project's staging site will be located.

According to proposed plans, the parking deck is to include a Harris Teeter Express grocery store, a recreation center, a bookstore, a police substation and a late-night study facility.

But these improvements to the lot could pose problems for the 15 sports clubs that currently practice at Ehringhaus Fields if the fields are pegged as a staging area.

Director of Campus Recreation Marty Pomerantz said he wonders where these sports clubs will go if the site is taken over by construction.

He said there are only three fields on campus that are specifically used for recreational sports, but only Ehringhaus Fields can be used by sport clubs.

The remaining two fields next to Carmichael Residence Hall have already been cut in half as a result of staging.

But Anna Wu, project architect for the parking deck, said the planning staff has not discussed using Ehringhaus Fields to stage the construction, and there is no need for alarm at this time.

"(The planning committee has) not come up with a staging plan for the construction yet," she said. "In fact, the planning committee is still in the preliminary design phase for the parking deck."

Although Pomerantz said he is staying optimistic that the parking deck project will not endanger the fields, he wants the University community to stay involved in the decision to pick a staging area.

Pomerantz said that as a member of the planning committee for the parking deck, he will make sure student needs are represented.

He said, "Unfortunately, student recreation needs are being overlooked (on campus)."