Student Stores Offers One-Stop Shop for Coursepaks

Copytron, which was bought in August by Booktech, is still producing coursepaks, but the rest of its departments have been eliminated and the company has closed its Franklin Street location.

For the first time, UNC Student Stores has agreed to allow the coursepaks produced by Booktech -- a company specializing in coursepaks -- to be sold in the textbook department, said Rebecca Courin, the mid-Atlantic regional manager for Booktech.com.

The transition has not been a difficult one, said John Jones, director of Student Stores. "We're treating them as we do a publisher," Jones said. "We received them in the same way we do textbooks."

Despite the changes, both Student Stores and Booktech plan for all coursepaks to be available to students on time.

Several students buying coursepaks Monday afternoon in Student Stores said they were largely unaffected by the change. Many said they did not buy coursepaks at Copytron anyway.

But one student was pleased with the change. "I like the fact that they're here instead of up on Franklin Street," said Gentry Caton, a freshman biology major.

And Courin said the switch will not negatively affect the amount of business Booktech takes in from coursepak sales. She said professors had actually requested a few more coursepaks this semester from Booktech than in previous years.

Jones said Student Stores is also producing a few more coursepaks now than it did last semester, a difference he said could be explained by professors' changes in class syllabuses and a variation in classes offered.

Jones said the change did not result in a large profit for Student Stores. "We make some money on them, but not much," he said. "We make less than on a normal textbook."

Jones said the profit for each coursepak depends on the amount of copyrighted material it contains.

He said there is a minor difference between coursepaks from student stores, and coursepaks from Booktech.

Jones said, "They're merchandised differently -- ours are in the coursepak section, and theirs are with the textbooks."