Tar Heels Trounce Wildcats

But the misstep of Julie Rotondi may be an obstacle in that path.

The good news for the Tar Heels: They beat No. 32 Kentucky 6-1, losing one singles match, a forfeit because of Rotondi's ankle injury.

Her match was the closest of the day as she won the first set 7-5 but fell in the second set 6-4. The play captivated the crowd with its heated exchange of not only forehands and backhands, but also complaints about line calls.

Down 3-2 in the final set, Rotondi placed a drop shot in front of Kentucky's Brooke Skeen. Skeen's effort to get to the ball was successful as she barely flipped her crosscourt backhand shot over the net.

A surprised Rotondi, who had charged to the right for the drop shot, reversed her direction to try to volley Skeen's return.

The next thing heard was a scream.

Rotondi crumpled to the ground, grabbing her right ankle. A few minutes later, she limped off on crutches.

Despite Rotondi's loss, the outcome was never in doubt for the Tar Heels.

The day began with the doubles portion of the match, as three pairs of women faced off.

UNC's No. 1 team of Rotondi and Marlene Mejia dominated, winning 8-4, while the No. 3 team of Erin Niebling and Elina Bairos won 9-8 in a tiebreaker (7-5). The wins gave UNC an overall victory in doubles and a 1-0 lead in the match.

"I was very pleased," UNC coach Roland Thornqvist said. "This is one of the better doubles teams we will face all year, and I really thought we were the better team."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.