Teasley Watches Contest\From Unfamiliar Position

Nikki Teasley smiled proudly, shaking her left fist and extended index finger in the air.

But unlike many occasions during the past three years, Teasley held a pompom in her right hand. The shot was not hers. The glory was not hers. The victory was not hers.

Teasley, UNC's starting point guard for the past three seasons, was seated in section 124 across from the bench her former teammates were occupying.

She decided to take the school year off for personal reasons which she has not yet chosen to talk about. So for now, Teasley has an unfamiliar position -- spectator.

"Oh, man. I live for days like that," she said following UNC's overtime win. "Any time I watch a game I wish I was on the court. I was telling some of my friends, 'I'm not used to being on this side of the court because I'm always playing.' It's certainly tough for me."

Watching from the stands is not all that's tough for Teasley these days. She's living back in Maryland but isn't using her time away to kick back and relax.

The 21-year-old works two jobs while she works through the personal difficulties that caused her to withdraw from school. By morning she works construction. By evening she clocks in at a J.C. Penney's department store.

"It's helping me out a lot as a person, as a human being, not just an athlete," said Teasley, who made third-team All-ACC despite missing seven games last season.

"I'm learning a lot as a young adult in the real world, how to deal with things. More importantly, I'm learning a lot of stuff about myself that I never knew, and that's the thing I had to deal with when I was here."

For now, UNC (9-6, 3-3 in the ACC) is learning how to play without her, something it struggled with last year.

UNC won one game during her leave of absence, which included a

101-58 drubbing at Duke. With Teasley back at the point, the Tar Heels downed the No. 9 Blue Devils 73-64 at home.

"I think we'd definitely be better, we'd be higher in the rankings right now (if Teasley were playing)," current point guard Coretta Brown said. "But she's not, so we've just got to move on and play the rest of this year out."

Still, thoughts about the prospects of next year can't be avoided.

Both Teasley and UNC coach Sylvia Hatchell confirmed Teasley's intentions to complete her college eligibility and studies. She plans to return to school this summer and to the team in the fall.

"I think if she comes back, we'll definitely be a threat," Brown said. "I'm predicting top 10, top five."

When she comes back, there shouldn't be any controversy at the point between Teasley and Brown, who is averaging 17.7 points, 6.5 assists and 5.1 rebounds.

"What our plans are when Nikki comes back next year, Juana (Brown) will be gone so that'll let Nikki play more on the wing," Hatchell said. "That's what she's wanted to do the whole time she was here. You know, let her be more of a scorer and play more wing and let them two maybe interchange some. I think that'd be great."

On Sunday, Teasley got to celebrate victory and be a part of the team again even though she watched the action from the stands.

After the game, she joined her jubilant teammates on the floor for the customary victory dance.

"We're still tight, still got that sisterhood going on," Teasley said. "Just the distance, that's the only thing."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.