Van Sant Finds Inspiration In `Good Will Hunting' Plot

The plot of the film is no more than what the preview reveals (though that doesn't mean the film is short -- it runs more than 2 1/2 hours). A young black teenager (Rob Brown) living in the Bronx is dared by his friends to break into the house of an older man (Sean Connery) considered to be a hermit.

After their initial encounter, the unlikely pair strikes up a friendship as the older gentleman helps the younger one improve his writing skills. It turns out the hermit is none other than William Forrester, a long-lost writer who penned one incredible novel more than 50 years ago and then disappeared.

Connery gives one of his finest performances to date. He portrays Forrester with sensitivity and provides the character with depth the screenplay lacks. What is more astonishing is that Connery's performance is matched by that of Brown, who makes his screen debut. Brown's is a performance of subtle beauty and innate talent.

F. Murray Abraham and Anna Paquin, two talented Oscar winners, are given very little to work with here. Their characters are barely more than sketches, and their respective storylines are lost.

Van Sant is to be credited for crafting such honest, heartfelt performances. He is truly an actor's director. But what is missing from "Finding Forrester" is the strong sense of style that was apparent in "Good Will Hunting" and his earlier works.

Given the strength of the performances and direction, it's hard to regard "Finding Forrester" as mediocre. In spite of its unoriginality, the movie is polished and intelligent. Still, there's no denying Van Sant is playing it safe after his "Psycho" disaster.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.