Woods Pulls Out Of Race

"It was outside factors that have nothing do with Chapel Hill," said Woods, who is a sophomore. "From April to April, I can't say that I'll be completely focused."

Woods resigned from his post as student body secretary in November with intentions of running for student body president. He said he decided to run in an attempt to make student government more responsive to a student body that often views the organization with cynicism.

"The thought process started at the point when it became clear what the field was looking like this year," Woods said. "I was looking for who was going to address the issues that I think need to be addressed."

In the last few months, Woods has been laying the groundwork for his campaign by building a team of advisers. "I had really experienced a lot more support and a lot more enthusiasm than what we thought," he said.

But while Woods was encouraged by the positive feedback, he said he didn't want to show disrespect to the people working on his campaign by not dedicating his full efforts to the presidency.

"The competitor in me would like to take this show on the road," Woods said. "I think we would definitely have surprised a lot of people. But the worst thing would have been to have won and not do all that I'm capable of."

Woods also said his resignation does not represent a disillusionment with student government. "I do not have a diminished interest or belief in student government," he said.

But he said he will remain an observer for the rest of the election race. "As for me, I'm going to vote," Woods said. "But that might be the only definite thing to expect."

Woods' campaign manager, sophomore Fred Hashagen, will continue his involvement with the race by moving his support to another candidate, junior Eric Johnson. "(Johnson) is the type of person willing to listen," Hashagen said. "It makes him the right candidate with Michael being out of it."

And Woods said he has not considered whether he will be directly involved with student government in future years. "I would be extremely surprised if you see me with a position in the next administration," he said. "I certainly won't be asking for one."

As for the field of candidates he leaves behind, Woods said he believes the competitors are competent but will have to appeal to all factions on campus due to the convenience of online voting.

He said students usually apathetic toward the election will now be a stronger factor. "They're going to have to be more attentive to the whole student body."

Annie Peirce, a junior who also is preparing her student body president campaign, said Woods' pulling out of the race will not have a major effect.

"He offered one more perspective," Peirce said. "There's certainly a lot of people in this race. Students will still have a variety of choices."