Thursday, Feb. 22, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Angell Leads Tar Heels to 12th Place

The Tar Heels were led by junior Heather Angell, who finished tied for 23rd place with a three-round total of nine-over-par 225.

Track and Field Shines at Virginia Tech

BLACKSBURG, Va. -- The North Carolina track and field teams handed in solid performances Saturday at the Virginia Tech Last Chance Invitational. Edi Ntuen lowered her NCAA provisional qualifying time in the 400 meters, finishing third in 53.67.

Lutisha Shittu finished second in the 60-meter hurdles in 8.43. Anissa Gainey placed fifth in the 200 meters in 24.26, followed by Crystal Cox in sixth with a season-best time of 24.30.

Leading the men, Brent Callaway finished second in the pole vault with a mark of 16-8 3/4. Ian Douglas placed third in the shot put with a toss of

56-11 1/4 while Sal Gigante placed fourth.

The women earned an NCAA automatic qualifying time in the distance medley relay in a time of 11:14.43 on Friday, eclipsing the school record of 11:18.35, set in 1997.

Ola Sesay won the long jump with a leap of 20-6 1/4.Gigante placed first in the weight throw with a toss of 62-6 3/4, and Blair Woodward finished second in the long jump with a mark of 23-6.

Men's Swimming Takes 2nd at ACCs

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- The North Carolina men's swimming and diving team finished second in the ACC Championships which concluded Saturday night at Virginia's Aquatic & Fitness Center.

Virginia won its third consecutive ACC championship. North Carolina finished second in the team standings for the second straight year with 594.5 points.

Georgia Tech was third with 434.5 points, while Florida State finished fourth with 401.5. Clemson (360), NC State (346.5), Maryland (297.5) and Duke (141) rounded out the team scores.

UNC's Sean Quinn finished second in the 200-yard breaststroke in 1:57.82, bettering the NCAA automatic qualifying standard. The sophomore's time time was his personal best, and it broke the Tar Heel school record he had previously held at 1:57.90.

Florida State's Josh Edelman won his second title of the Championships by taking the three-meter diving title with a score of 550.80. Stephen Krebs was second in the 3-meter diving competition with a score of 533.15.

Bucknell Upsets Men's Lacrosse

BALTIMORE -- Bucknell ran off the last five goals of the game Saturday to defeat the North Carolina men's lacrosse team 9-4 in a game played at Curley Field at Loyola College. UNC falls to

1-1 on the season.

Bucknell led 4-2 at the half, but back- to-back goals by UNC's Steven Will and Tim Gosier in the first seven minutes of the third quarter tied the game at 4-4. But Bucknell's defense shut out the Tar Heels the rest of the way, and a goal by Andrew Sanders with 7:21 to play in the third quarter put Bucknell up for good.

Tim Gosier had a pair of goals for the Tar Heels.

UNC will return to Maryland next Saturday for its noon contest against Navy in Annapolis.