CAA President Saga Ends With Chaney Win

Reid Chaney was declared the winner against Michael Songer after capturing 1,558 of the 2,994 votes cast, while Songer fell short with 1,366 votes.

"We're so excited," Chaney said. "We started out being the underdog with just a small network of friends, and we really had to gain support from people."

When Board of Elections Chairman Jeremy Tuchmayer announced the election results, Chaney first jumped up and embraced his campaign staff before extending a handshake to his opponent.

Chaney gave credit for his victory to his staff and campaign workers who helped him in the race. "Jon Kanipe was the best campaign manager ever," Chaney said. "Everyone was a big help."

While the celebratory hugs and congratulations were passed around the Chaney camp, there was a solemn atmosphere among Songer's supporters.

"I'm really disappointed," Songer said. "I think we had a lot of great ideas, and it's unfortunate that they won't be implemented."

Songer said he is not sure if he will have a future with CAA. "We'll have to see what happens," Songer said. "I'm not prepared to make that decision tonight."

Songer believes his unpopular platform proposal of taking away Carolina Fever's allotted basketball seating bloc was one of the reasons for his loss. "I clearly think our stance on Fever hurt us a lot," Songer said. "In the end, there was just one special interest group out there that was just too vocal to overcome."

The first election held two weeks ago originally called for a runoff election, but Chaney was then declared the winner after the Board of Elections invalidated 27 write-in votes.

Songer then sought help from the Board of Elections, saying he was unable to win because of a slanderous e-mail that was sent to thousands of students the night before the election.

Another e-mail surfaced that linked the e-mail to Chaney's campaign, but the Board of Elections ruled that it was fabricated.

The board chose to take no action against either campaign and ruled to let the re-election continue.

Songer said he was still displeased with the sending of the original e-mail on the eve of the first vote. "It's really unfortunate that our opponents sent out that vicious e-mail the night before the election," Songer said.

Officials on the Chaney campaign said they too were angered by the e-mail that caused so many problems.

"I am completely baffled and disgusted as to why anyone would send that e-mail for the first election," Kanipe said. "We would never do such a horrible thing. I'm exalted that we won. It's been such a long road and now it's finally over."

Chaney said one of his main goals will be to change the current system of men's basketball ticket distribution. "With the current system, bracelets are only given out on Wednesday and Thursday, and this isn't convenient for everyone," Chaney said. "We will distribute tickets in the Pit and will draw and announce the number there on Friday. We've already gotten preliminary approval."

Chaney said he also wants to improve students' views of the CAA because doubt recently has been cast over the organization with scandals involving ticket distribution and internal conflict.

"It would be misleading if we said these past few weeks have not cast a shadow over the CAA, but we intend to change that," Chaney said. He plans on incorporating new faces with the old ones and taking the organization back to a level of high respectability.

Chaney said he was pleased with the margin of victory and that he feels that this adds credence to his win in the first election.

"It really means a lot to us to capture this thing again."