Chaney Would Make CAA More Effcient as Its President

While many plans in place right now are first-rate, there are several alterations that can make the organization much better. Reid's platform reflects innovations that will make sure CAA works better and more efficiently.

The most obvious of these changes is Reid's two-part method for bracelet distribution. Rather than having students make their way to the Smith Center on Tuesday through Thursday of distribution week, Reid's plan will have bracelets available for students from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the Pit from Monday to Thursday of that week. By doing this, he will allow more students to get bracelets if they want them.

Clearly, this allows greater accessibility for UNC students and will increase fan support throughout the season.

The second part of his two-part basketball distribution plan works just as well. Cheating will be eliminated by using a master list of students from the Registrar's Office.

When students arrive to get a bracelet, they will show their UNC ONE Card to the person distributing bracelets. Upon doing this, they will have their names marked off the list, which will not allow them to obtain another bracelet.

This will also allow us to reveal the bracelet number before Saturday morning. While this will provide more work for those in CAA, the overall outcome will be in the best interests of the entire student body.

Reid is putting yet another twist on ticket distribution that will increase the chance students have of obtaining riser tickets.

Currently, riser tickets are given to the same students for each of the games in a distribution block. Reid's plan would allow for more students to obtain riser seats by giving riser tickets out a single game at a time during a distribution.

For example, if the distribution block was Wake Forest University, the University of Maryland and the University of Virginia, certain students would get riser tickets for Wake, others would obtain them for Maryland and still others would get them for Virginia. This would allow three different sets of students to have riser seats and will let more students experience them.

Reid is a major supporter of Carolina Fever. He feels that Fever provides a spirit and intensity at olympic sporting events that many times would not otherwise be there.

In addition to olympic sports, Fever also plays a huge part in basketball and football games. The enthusiasm that Fever shows at these games encourages other students to be just as loud.

Reid believes that Fever is a great organization, and believes it deserves to keep its basketball tickets.

In the past, there was a drop off in Fever activities after basketball season, but Fever now has rollover points.

This means that for sports members to attend in the spring, points will count for them in the next year, creating a much more effective organization.

Realizing the importance of olympic sports, Reid has also developed a five-point integrated marketing plan for olympic sports. He will use the CAA listserv, the sports ticker, the CAA and Residence Hall Association newsletter, the CAA Web site and continual Pit events to make sure that students know what is going on in Carolina athletics, especially in olympic sports.

Carolina's olympic sports are the best in the nation. No other programs continually show the same excellence. But the support for these teams is lacking.

By increasing the presence of olympic sports, more students will know about the games and will want to attend. By making students more aware, this in turn will undoubtedly create much more support for these great teams.

Reid is also planning the creation of a student sports leadership council, so that students can voice concerns about anything sports-related -- from those who play club sports to those who use the Student Recreation Center. A forum for students to express their opinions will provide more student voices and ideas to be heard.

Clearly, Reid Chaney has great plans for the CAA. If he is elected, his presidency will create a more open and student-oriented organization.

Reid's fresh plans and ideas will create a better situation for students and sports at UNC and a more efficient CAA. On Tuesday, make the choice that will benefit Carolina for years to come. Vote Reid Chaney for CAA president.

Jon Kanipe is a junior political science major and Reid Chaney campaign worker. Reach him with questions and comments at sniper11@email.unc.edu.