Clearing the Dance Floor

But it wasn't until her sophomore year that the international studies major from Tampa, Fla., found the right niche -- working with the UNC Dance Marathon.

"Carolina is so incredibly diverse, but there's rarely a unified feeling," she said. "I stumbled upon an organization whose purpose is to unite the campus for an incredible cause, and nothing could appeal to me more."

As the overall coordinator for this year's Dance Marathon, Irvin is responsible for fostering this unity.

Irvin oversees 11 committees, serves as a liaison between the Dance Marathon and the University and acts as the event's spokeswoman, among many other duties.

The 24-hour Dance Marathon, which kicks off at 7 p.m. today in Fetzer Gym, is the largest single fund raiser for the N.C. Children's Hospital.

"I find the Marathon to be incredibly rewarding," Irvin said. "It's a tangible way to make a difference."

Students and community members working with the Dance Marathon can see the direct result of their fund raising through a fund Irvin helped establish.

The For the Kids Fund provides money to families whose medical expenses are not covered by insurance.

In previous years, all proceeds went directly to the hospital.

The new fund has bought clothes and phone cards for children in the hospital, and it paid electrical bills and rent payments for their families. It even contributed $500 toward a car for a family who could not get their sick child to the hospital because their car was stolen.

But Irvin refuses to credit herself with the Dance Marathon's achievements. More than 250 volunteers and 85 campus and community organizations were involved in the Dance Marathon's yearlong fund raising, organization and planning.

"I challenge anyone to find a group of people who will give more time, energy and devotion as they have to the Marathon," she said.

Leading up to tonight's event, Irvin said her position has gradually pushed her other activities onto a back burner, like her involvement in Order of the Bell Tower and Alpha Delta Pi sorority.

"I dream about the Marathon," she said. "It's first and foremost in my mind."

As of late, she has devoted about 60 hours per week to last-minute phone calls and e-mails, talks with campus organizations and meetings with heads of committees.

Senior Leslie Cooley, chairwoman of the Dance Marathon's silent auction committee, said Irvin is dedicated to making the Dance Marathon work.

"(She) has an amazing capacity for leadership," she said. "She's very focused and very dependable."

Cooley said Irvin's organizational skills were a key factor in the event's success so far.

"We left no stone unturned, no resource untapped," Cooley said. "She organized all that."

But Irvin's greatest asset is her dedication, Cooley said.

"She'll stay up all night long writing e-mails to the right people," she said. "You can call her in the middle of the night with a question or a problem, and she'll get up and help you out."

Although she is getting a little less sleep and saying a few more prayers than usual these days, Irvin said she has no worries about this weekend's event.

"Everyone involved has put in so much hard work, I can only anticipate good things."

The Features Editor can be reached at features@unc.edu.