Coalition Agrees On Approach to Win LGBT Center

They hope the task force, consisting of faculty and students, will find that UNC needs an LGBT Resource Center, which has surfaced as a major issue among both the LGBT community and student politicians.

The coalition decided to focus its efforts on gaining the support of student organizations, faculty members and alumni by asking for petitions and letters of support, which will be presented to the chancellor.

"We want to get everyone involved so everyone feels like they are part of the process," said Marcie Fisher, a high-risk program specialist at the Center for Healthy Student Behaviors.

In the next few weeks, the coalition will approach each student group with a petition and a skeleton form letter to the chancellor asking him to set up a task force to study LGBT needs.

"By early April, we want a stack of petitions and a stack of letters to present to the chancellor," said Chantelle Borne, co-chairwoman of the LGBT Resource Center Coalition.

The resource center envisioned by the coalition would provide services such as advising, advocacy, career networking and leadership development to the LGBT community.

It also would offer information and resources to the entire University community about LGBT issues.

"There is currently no administrative or institutional support (for the LGBT community) except for student groups," Borne said.

The coalition has been meeting since September of 2000 to gauge the support its cause would receive across the campus.

So far, contacts have been made in various student organizations, and an LGBT Alumni Association has been established to allow alumni to continue in their support of on-campus efforts.

Fisher said the progress they had already made was exhibited by the platforms of the student body president candidates.

An LGBT Resource Center was a main goal of each.

By this summer, the coalition hopes that the task force will have started its work and have the study completed within one year.

Within two years, the members hope to have the LGBT Resource Center up and running.

Jamie Sohn, secretary of the Queer Network for Change, expressed confidence that the center will eventually exist because of the hard work of the LGBT community and its allies.

"We have a lot of people that can do a lot of things."