Gymnasts' Best Not Enough to Top State

The Tar Heels, performing in their second meet in as many weekends at Reynolds, turned in its best team performance of the season Saturday night with a team score of 195.075.

But N.C. State defended its home turf and claimed first place with a season-best score of 196.150. UNC (6-6) finished second, followed by the 193.350 score posted by Air Force.

"It was a good, strong team performance," UNC coach Derek Galvin said.

Senior Brooke Wilson turned in another solid performance, placing second in all-around with a score of 39.260. N.C. State's Kara Charles edged Wilson by .025 to claim first place.

"I accomplished what I wanted to," Wilson said. "I hit all four events and felt good about all of them."

Several other Tar Heels were forced to step up because freshman Amanda Smith strained her knee during warmups.

Sophomore Fritzie Cathcart performed on beam in place of Smith and delivered a solid 9.800. On floor exercise, sophomore Chrissy Klonne filled in for Smith and scored a 9.575.

"Because of the injury to Amanda they had to step in today, and they did a great job," Galvin said.

UNC had five all-around performers compete, which was a first for the Tar Heels. Junior Lisa Companioni finished fourth in the all-around in addition to Wilson's second place performance.

Monica Middleton, Maddy Curley and Cathcart also participated in the all-around competition.

"In the 20 years that I have been here we have never had five all-arounders," Galvin said. "All five of those all-arounders had very good scores and did a good job tonight."

Middleton's 9.875 on uneven bars was good enough for third in the event, and freshman Skylar Inman's 9.825 score on bars was a season-best.

Companioni placed first for North Carolina on vault and balance beam while Wilson led UNC on floor exercise.

Despite the Tar Heels' strong team effort, N.C. State placed first in every event. Kellie Brown won vault, bars and floor exercise for the Wolfpack, while Monica Berry placed first on beam. These performances produced the fourth highest team score in the school's history.

But the Tar Heels focused on their own performance. "I think we are looking really good and improving each meet," Middleton said.

Galvin said, "Over the past four weeks every individual has achieved a personal best."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.