Inaugural Coverage Accurately Depicted Students' Activity

Mr. Buchanan ("Inauguration Front Page Evidence of Liberal Bias, Disappointing to Reader" Jan. 25) should understand that The Daily Tar Heel is the UNC newspaper which reports on student activity. Since more than 60 students went to D.C. to protest the inauguration, the heavy coverage of those protests was not only appropriate, but accurate.

Since Mr. Buchanan was not actually present, I have no idea how he knows or understands the conditions at the inaugural parade. People were everywhere in disorganized mobs, fights were breaking out and people were screaming and flicking off those actually participating in the parade.

I was actually there, as were the reporters that covered the protest.

And just so Mr. Buchanan knows, being a decent citizen is not watching the corruption of our political system and saying nothing. Being a decent citizen means standing up for the Constitution and the rights that it affords to everyone. I was in D.C. protesting because I feel that the violations of voting rights of blacks in Florida was wrong. It was clearly unconstitutional. Any decent citizen, Democrat or Republican, should have been out there protesting because being a decent citizen means protecting the Constitution and using out First Amendment right to freedom of speech and assembly to voice that dissatisfaction.

And, no, Mr. Buchanan, I do not think the entire world is wrong. I just think that as an American, the constitutional violations that occurred during the election cheapen the Constitution and compromise our nation's integrity as a place of equal opportunity and justice.

I think that the DTH would have been doing the students on this campus that sacrificed a lot of time and effort organizing and participating in the protest trips to D.C. an injustice if there had been no coverage of the protests. Mr. Buchanan, I am mature enough to understand what it means to be an American.

Maybe you should take a look at what it means to be an American.

Susan Navarro

Freshman

Political Science and English

Secretary, UNC Young Democrats