Local Bond Proposed For Schools

The Chapel Hill-Carrboro school system's initial funding request is $71.18 million, although this amount might not appear on the bond. The Orange County school system's finalized request is $24 million.

Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools needs immediate funding to meet problems of overcrowding, said Steve Scroggs, assistant superintendent for support services.

Scroggs said the first order of business for the Chapel Hill-Carrboro board is adding two elementary schools, which would bring the system total to 10.

Carrboro Elementary School Principal Randy Marshall said overcrowding was not currently a problem at his school, but Mary Scroggs, McDougle and Seawell elementary schools were overcrowded. "They would like none of the schools over 600 (students)," he said.

Carrboro Elementary, built in 1957, is also in need of renovations. "The roof is due to be replaced," Marshall said.

Scroggs said the proposed cost of the two new elementary schools totals nearly $29 million.

Acquiring land for future building sites would cost $3.15 million, Scroggs said. Increasing the capacity of the current high schools would cost $28.58 million. Central Office improvements would cost $5.48 million. Other renovations, like enhancing fire safety, would cost an extra $8 million, he said.

"All this is probably not going to be on the bond," Scroggs said. "We're going to be as ambitious as possible, keeping the taxpayers' needs in mind."

At a Wednesday night meeting discussing the bond, the Orange County Board of Education outlined its proposal for requesting $24 million.

"That's our middle school plus $4 million for renovations," Orange County Schools Superintendent Randy Bridges said.

Bridges said the county's middle school population of 1,543 is 77 students over capacity.

Orange County school board member Robert Bateman said the county was planning for future growth rather than waiting for schools to get overcrowded.

"I'm not sure that we need to get every nook and cranny filled before we build new schools," Bateman said.

Bridges and the board members noted that other funds would be needed to renovate existing facilities.

Renovating the auditorium at Orange High School would cost $950,000. "The auditorium was the big ticket item," Bridges said.

Officials from the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools and Orange County Schools believe passage of the countywide referendum is vital to keeping the systems in step with their growing needs.

Bridges said passing the bond referendum would allow the system to begin improvements immediately.

"If it occurs, we'll be moving on that right away."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.