Master Plan Committee Promises to Be Friendly Toward the Environment

The Orange-Chatham Group of the Sierra Club presented a statement of Thirteen Environmental Principles for UNC Campus Planning to the Chapel Hill Town Council last week and intends to present it to the UNC Board of Trustees later this month.

We were pleased to see the statement because much of what the group suggests is embraced in the work we have been doing on the campus Master Plan. One of its major components is the Environmental Master Plan, which is being developed by two nationally respected consulting firms, guided by an advisory group made up of UNC's leading environmental experts. It includes attention to stormwater management, it proposes "day-lighting" of long-covered streams, it protects the steep slopes of Baity Hill and it replaces 20 acres of impervious surface with 30 acres of green space.

The plan includes a strong commitment to regional transit, park-and-ride and other trip reduction measures. We have offered Mr. Coleman and Mr. Carnahan the opportunity to meet with our consultants and planning team.

When they do, they will see how close we are to their objectives and how inclusive our planning process has been.

Jonathan B. Howes

Chairman, Executive Steering Team

Campus Master Plan