Men's Swimming In 2nd at ACCs

Virginia is currently in first place in the team event with 256.5 points. North Carolina follows with 211, while Florida State is third with 142.5.

N.C. State is in fourth place heading into the second day of competition with 123 points, and Maryland is in fifth (110). Clemson (104), Georgia Tech (96) and Duke (49) round out the team scoring.

In individual events, UNC freshman Yuri Suguiyama placed second in the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 4:22.26.

UNC's Chris Helin placed second in the 200 IM in a time of 1:48.15 . In the 50 free, junior Kevin Erndl placed fourth in a time of 20.12.

Diver Stephen Krebs came in third in the 1-meter diving competition with a score of 254.95.

Both of North Carolina's relay squads placed third. UNC's 400 medley relay team of Kert Johnson, Sean Quinn, Sebastien Moity and Kevin Erndl finished third in 3:17.07.

UNC's 200 free relay team also placed third (Erndl, Johnson, Justin Donato, Michael Chenier) in time of 1:20.82.

The championship continues today.

Track Team Earns Honors

Coach Dennis Craddock was named ACC Coach of the Year for the ninth time after leading the North Carolina women's indoor track and field team to its ninth straight ACC title this past weekend in Blacksburg, Va. Shalane Flanagan, meanwhile, earned Rookie of the Year honors.

Craddock, in his 16th season at the helm of the program, has won 13 ACC indoor titles during his tenure at UNC.

Flanagan was the recipient of the ACC Rookie of the Year award after she captured first-place in the mile run with a time of 4:37.41. Her championship time not only qualifies her for NCAAs but also shatters the ACC indoor record for the mile held by Maryland's Rosalind Taylor who ran a time of 4:42.92 in 1991.

Flanagan was named All-ACC in the mile and the 3,000 while teammates Anissa Gainey earned honors in the 60 and 200, Joy Ganes in the high jump, Lashawn Gee in the long jump, Edi Ntuen in the 400, Alice Schmidt in the 800 and Lutisha Shittu in the 60 hurdles.

UNC's men earned All-ACC awards, also. Brent Callaway won in pole vault, Ian Douglas in shot put, Jeff Ellis in the 800, Jacobe Foster in the 400, Sal Gigante in weight throw and shot put, John Ridgway in shot put and Blair Woodward in long jump.