Mosch Burns Tar Heels Late in Game Again

The Duke women's basketball team has found its late-game solution against North Carolina: sophomore guard Sheana Mosch.

Mosch sunk two huge 3-pointers down the stretch and hit a layin to put her team up for good as the No. 4 Blue Devils defeated the Tar Heels 72-67 at Cameron Indoor Stadium on Monday.

Mosch's heroics capped a 19-point, six-rebound performance and marked the second game this season that she has carried the Blue Devils on her back late in the game against North Carolina. She scored a game-high 29 points, including 13 in a row in overtime, in Duke's 92-85 win at UNC on Jan. 25.

"Sheana Mosch, she hurt us quite a bit the last game," UNC forward LaQuanda Barksdale said. "She just seems to turn it up whenever we play them."

During a media timeout with 2:54 left in the game and UNC leading 63-59, Duke sophomore center Lello Gebisa approached Mosch in the huddle and uttered three words: "Take over, Sheana."

"I didn't expect to hear that, but it was good to hear that, to know they had that kind of confidence in me," Mosch said. "And I just told myself that I really needed to step up and help out more, so that was just the kind of attitude I had when I went out there from the huddle."

Mosch wasted little time conveying her new attitude on the court. She drained a 3-pointer with 2:19 left that cut the Tar Heels' lead to 63-62.

Both teams were unable to score on the game's next three possessions, but on the fourth, Mosch spotted up on the right wing and nailed another trey to give Duke a 65-63 lead with 1:31 left.

Barksdale answered with a jumper along the right baseline to even the game 65-65 with 57 seconds to go, but after a timeout Mosch put the Blue Devils ahead for good. She took the ball on the right wing and drove on UNC guard Cherie Lea, lofting a right-handed layup through the hoop with 36 seconds on the clock and another Duke victory all but sealed.

With Duke leading scorers Alana Beard and Georgia Schweitzer struggling for much of the game, finishing with a combined 27 points on 10-of-28 shooting from the floor (1-of-10 from behind the arc), Mosch thrived in the role of Tar Heel-beater once again.

"Sheana's just such an incredible player," Schweitzer said. "I definitely want her taking those shots when the game's coming down like that. She had two great looks, and she knocked them down. Just like Lello, I have a lot of confidence too in Sheana. She's a tremendous player, and she stepped up big when the game was on the line."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.