`Progress' Joins Faculty, Student Activists

While the organizations will continue to work separately, Progress aims to foster communication between the groups -- both of which are prominent activist organizations on campus.

"The main focus is to be a medium between students and faculty," said Rudy Kleysteuber, Campus Y co-president and participant in the formation of Progress.

Rashmi Varma, an English professor and member of the Progressive Faculty Network since its creation in fall 1999, said she hopes the union will encourage more collaboration between the groups.

While the organizations have engaged in joint efforts to protest last year's tuition increase and sweatshop labor issues, Varma hopes that such work will become more consistent.

"Previously I think our work was more fragmented, but we have never really worked together to organize something together," Varma said.

The decision to officially connect the two organizations surfaced at a Jan. 25 meeting between the two groups at Caffe Trio. Progress will continue to have informal organizational meetings once a month.

Mary Bratsch, a junior English major who attended the January meeting, believes the union will give the two groups more opportunities to move forward. "I think when any groups team up, you are able to get more resources, more people-power, more energy," Bratsch said.

Progress will kick off its combined efforts with a seminar at 7:30 p.m. March 1 in 108 Bingham Hall on controversy associated with the recent Florida ballot recounts.

The seminar will consist of two panels -- each of which will lead an hour-long discussion on the issue.

The first, which will be led by UNC law Professor Melissa Saunder and Duke University history professor Alex Keyssar, will address the historical and legal implications of the recount.

The second will feature civil rights activist Mab Segrest and Mandy Carter, a member of the Democratic National Committee and will focus on steps that might be taken to preserve democracy in the 21st century.

A student, chosen by Progress, will also be included on the panel.

Varma feels that the voting rights issue is appropriate for an initial joint effort.

She said, "We felt the need for political education, because a lot of people felt that there were implications that they didn't really know about."