SBP to Play Key Role in Revising UNC Curriculum

The Undergraduate Curriculum Review Board's responsibility to update UNC students' undergraduate education by 2003 is a task that will enlist the efforts of both students and faculty.

With student elections right around the corner, student body president candidates say they plan to take an active interest in the board's work.

"We are trying to make the process as open and as consultative as possible," said Lauren McNeil, head of the board's 14-member steering committee. The board plans to solicit the broadest range of student and faculty opinions possible.

Three discussion forums, held in various campus locations last semester, were used to gauge student opinion on the issue. Tom Tweed, associate dean of undergraduate curriculum,said a survey will be conducted sometime this semester to continue the dialogue.

Two students hold positions on the review board, but McNeil said the student body president can play an essential role in influencing the committee's work.

"The most effective role for student body president to take is to encourage students to participate in the process."

Tweed said he feels the student body president's role is two-fold. He said they must work "to provoke and organize students' reflections on outcoming proposals" and "coordinate the voicing of student opinion."

n