The campaign is raising money for an aquarium to be placed in the renovated Student Union. In October 2000, seniors chose the aquarium by a close margin over a jumbotron television screen for Kenan Stadium, among other gift ideas.

Oversized balloons, free popcorn, cotton candy and soda enticed seniors to attend the kickoff and learn more about the aquarium.

Katherine Ducker, a senior marshal, said the event was a way to put the aquarium back into the spotlight.

"Here, seniors can see the plans for the aquarium, get information on the design process and then decide how much they want to give to the fund," she said.

The goal of the fund-raising drive is to raise $30,000 by June 30.

Senior Class President Jason Cowley is confident that the class will raise the amount needed for the aquarium. "Thirty thousand dollars is the average of what most senior classes raise (for their gifts)," he said.

Greg Prince, a representative from the Office of Development, said $20,000 will be used to purchase the aquarium, while the remaining $10,000 will be placed into a maintenance endowment fund.

Interest from the endowment fund will be used for cleaning needs of the aquarium. The Student Union has agreed to take on any additional costs if the fund runs dry, Prince said.

Don Luse, director of the Carolina Union, envisions a two-pronged approach to the maintenance of the aquarium.

Every two weeks, the aquarium company will perform safety tests on the tank.

But the daily maintenance, such as feeding and water temperature regulation, will be conducted by either a marine science class or a student organization at UNC.

In this way, Luse hopes students can enjoy the aquarium not only for its beauty but also for its educational value.

Although plans for the aquarium have not been finalized, Luse said the committee has started brainstorming design ideas. "We would structure it to be reflective of the reefs off the North Carolina coast with the appropriate species," he said.

Seniors can donate money in one of five suggested giving levels, ranging from $20.01, in honor of this year's graduating class, to $250.

Cowley explained that the kickoff was not the only way that seniors could donate to the aquarium fund.

"In February, the Gift Committee will be conducting a phone drive to the entire senior class and to seniors' parents," he said.

In addition, seniors can donate online by going to www.unc.edu/

student/orgs/2001/classgift.html.