Tar Heel Gymnastics Waves Bye-Bye to Tribe

But not for the obvious reason.

After defeating William & Mary 195.075-191.575, North Carolina's gymnasts gave the Carmichael Auditorium faithful another chance to get energized.

Hours removed from their performance at the Dance Marathon, the Tar Heels showcased their three-song lip sync routine to the bouncing beats of 'N Sync and Britney Spears.

The Tar Heels also said bye bye bye to William & Mary throughout the meet, expanding its lead after each event.

With their victory against the Tribe, their second in as many home meets in 2001, the Tar Heels tied their school-record overall score just a week after setting the mark against N.C. State.

Oops, they did it again.

"I was pleased with our team effort. They put so much into this," UNC coach Derek Galvin said. "Our strongest event was most definitely floor. They did a great job."

Tar Heel Lisa Companioni, who turned 21 on Sunday, received quite a birthday present: a first-place finish in the all-around.

On her way to a personal-best all-around 38.950 score, the junior raked in a 9.850 on floor exercise.

Companioni's success was not isolated, however, as the top-four finishes in all-around went to UNC's gymnasts. Brooke Wilson, Maddy Curley and Fritzie Cathcart all scored more than 38 points for the four events.

Cathcart had her best meet as a Tar Heel, finishing with a career-best 38.525.

The sophomore's performance was highlighted by a double-back combination on floor, which Cathcart hit for the first time.

UNC's strong team chemistry played a key role, as each relied on and fired up each other.

The results were seen with the final team tally.

"We definetely helped keep everyone motivated because we had a few spills," Curley said. "We were able to pick it up and not let it affect us in the other event, which I think is very important."

After the victory, the Tar Heels must now shift their focus to fine-tuning their skills for postseason competition, which includes the East Atlantic Gymnastics League championships at the Smith Center on March 24.

"We are in the hunt for regionals," Companioni said. "It is important we stay consistent. It's really great that it is all coming together."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.