UNC Fields Ecological Concerns

University officials Wednesday presented several ways they plan to address the Sierra Club's "13 Environmental Principles for UNC Campus Planning," which outlines the club's concern with the ecological impact of the Master Plan.

The proposition cited the club's desire for UNC to "embrace the principles of sustainability to make wide use of resources ... in order to promote strong communities in viable ecosystems."

Jonathan Howes, director of the Master Plan, presided over the meeting and demonstrated the efforts of the University to address the needs of the environment. Several of UNC's hired specialists were in attendance to show how precautions will be integrated.

Sierra Club spokesman Dan Coleman said the group's suggestions focus primarily on transportation concerns. He said air quality and traffic will affect the area's environment.

Sierra Club members are especially worried that the UNC's projected growth will increase the number of students and faculty who will want to drive to campus.

UNC transportation specialist George Alexiou responded to Coleman's concerns by presenting the alternatives that UNC is considering. Alexiou cited the University's commitment to limit parking, promote and support alternative modes of transportation and create a pedestrian environment.

"The parking availability for students and faculty will be significantly reduced," Alexiou said. "We are making a statement that things will be different."

The Master Plan calls for a 50 percent increase in University facilities and population over the next 50 years, including projected growth onto the Horace Williams tract, located off Airport Road.

It is estimated that up to 25,000 parking spots could be built in the University-owned Horace Williams tract and as many as 3,000 spaces could be added to North Campus. Howes said the Horace Williams development is in its initial planning stages, and they are still investigating transportation alternatives for the area, such as rail or buses to connect the tract to main campus.

The Master Plan Committee is scheduled to meet with the Town Council today to discuss the tract.

UNC environmental consultant Thomas Cahill of Cahill Associates acknowledged that the development of new facilities would take away much of the green space that is now available.

But he also said the plan would try to minimize surfaces that can't absorb water.

Cahill presented the possibility of installing "green roofs," which includes vegetation as a roof cover. The roof can hold water and photosynthesize, decreasing water runoff and stormwater problems. Cahill also mentioned the use of porous surfaces for sidewalks and parking lots to absorb rainwater.

Coleman said the meeting was proof of the University's concern willingness to address the environmental issues. But he said he was disappointed in the lack of concrete plans. "I really wanted to hear the planning and how it is integrated. We haven't seen that yet. But we will continue to monitor their progress."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.