UNC Hires New Greek Director

Jay Anhorn, assistant director of student activities at Coastal Carolina University, will begin working as director of Greek affairs March 7.

The position became vacant in October after former Director of Greek Affairs Ron Binder retired.

Interim Director Aaron Nelson will continue working until March 9, so he and Anhorn will have three days to work together.

Nelson will be leaving to take a new job as the executive director of the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce.

Associate Vice Chancellor Cindy Wolf Johnson, who headed the search committee, said the search was very difficult because she had very specific qualities she was looking for in the candidates. "We were looking for somebody who could work extra well with students and with a good understanding of Greek life,"she said.

Wolf Johnson said the decision was made about two weeks ago.

Katie McMahon, the president of Pi Beta Phi, also said she will look for certain characteristics in the new director.

She said the Greek community needs "someone who's very open to suggestions and someone who has strong communication with all the presidents."

Wolf Johnson said Anhorn will work with Greek students on both a national level and a local level.

She also said the committee chose Anhorn because of his vision and energy and that she talked to many people before choosing him for the position. "It was my decision, but I certainly took in a lot of input from students, administrators and of course, the committee," she said.

Anhorn spoke about his plans in a forum at the University on Jan. 22. Johnson said she also used the evaluations filled out by those attending the forum to help make her decision.

McMahon said the wait for a permanent director didn't hurt the Greek system. "I think the interim director did a great job," she said. "I think it's a great way to do it because then we didn't have to rush the process of finding him."

Nelson said that as director, Anhorn will be responsible for advising the 49 campus sororities and fraternities, as well as working with them on recruitment and retention.

He said the director also attends meetings, gives speeches and sets standards such as those for fire safety for the sororities and fraternities. "It's a major, full-time operation," Nelson said.

He said the most trying part of the job is the long hours, but he said it has its perks. "The best part is working with the student leaders in the Greek community," he said.

Nelson said he has one piece of advice for the new director.

"I encourage him to get out there and to meet everybody and to make himself available to everybody," he said.

"These are an exceptional group of students, particularly the leadership."