UNC, Town Officials to Discuss Master Plan

The meeting, which is open to the public, will be held in the Morehead Lounge of the James M. Johnston Center for Undergraduate Excellence from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Bruce Runberg, UNC associate vice chancellor for facility services, has been working with town and UNC officials to help orchestrate the University's Master Plan for long-term growth and will be giving a presentation at the meeting.

The town-gown committee, which was formed last year to increase dialogue between the University and the town as UNC enters a period of expansion, is led by Chapel Hill Mayor Rosemary Waldorf and Chancellor James Moeser.

During the first town-gown meeting, held at the Chapel Hill Town Hall in December, representatives from the town side of the committee requested information that would help measure the impact of University construction on the town.

"The committee will continue to discuss when buildings will be built and what buildings will be built first," Town Council member Lee Pavao said.

Pavao also said the committee will discuss the considerable amount of floor-space expansion that UNC is planning that likely will create an increase in cars and people.

Chapel Hill's floor-space cap presently limits the University to 14.2 million square feet of buildings. With the passage of a $3.1 billion bond package last November that will fund construction projects at the state's higher education institutions, town officials worry that UNC would overflow its boundaries.

Master Plan Director Jonathan Howes said University officials on the committee will discuss the progress of construction on campus at the meeting.

Runberg said his presentation aims to give committee members insight into construction projects that will be funded with the $500 million UNC will receive as a result of the bond.

He said, "I am giving a presentation of a short overview of the building projects associated with the bond issue."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.