`Wedding Planner' Drips With Cheese and Predictable Clich

If you didn't quite gather the entire story from the trailers, here's a quick retread. Jennifer Lopez plays Mary, an unlucky-in-love wedding planner who unknowingly falls for McConaughey's Steve, the groom in the most important wedding of her career.

She tries to swallow her feelings, but a chance encounter sets the emotional floodgates open. Will Steve and Mary end up together? Was there really ever any doubt?

One bright spot in the film comes from the two leads. Lopez was robotic in "The Cell," but here she shows some true potential for Julia Roberts-style comedic talent. McConaughey is charming and plays all the right nuances for his part. They also share a dance sequence that is easily the highlight of the movie.

Bridgette Wilson also does a sufficient job as Steve's soon-to-be-jilted fiancee but smartly stays clear of turning her into the unlikable cardboard character that is stereotypical of the genre.

But the lines they all have to say are so ridiculous that my friends and I were giggling throughout the serious parts and cringing at the lame jokes.

In the attempt to create something different from the run-of-the-mill chick flick, writers threw in everything from wacky match-making relatives to wacky wedding planner assistants to wacky European suitors.

All of that is on top of the cheesiness inherent to a movie like this. When Steve professes his love for Mary, it's painfully apparent that no guy would ever talk like that.

Mary and Steve meet when she gets her shoe stuck in a manhole and a dumpster comes hurtling toward her, but the audience is supposed to believe that once she frees her foot she is stupid enough to risk retrieving her shoe.

The movie is fraught with this sort of farfetched plot device. The fact that Lopez's character is Italian just scratches the surface.

As one friend said as she leaned over to me, "This isn't even close to being believable. And you can quote me on that."

So I did.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.