Young to Establish New Posts, Recruit Diverse, Creative Staff

Now that the race for office is over, Student Body President-elect Justin Young is shifting his focus from snazzy campaign gimmicks to creating a smooth transition into his new office.

His transition period will involve thinking about what he plans to accomplish as well as creating a good team to work with in making those goals a reality.

"My short-term goals are establishing a diverse, creative Cabinet, and not only a good Cabinet, but also a diverse and creative office in general," he said.

Young said he plans to recreate and restructure the office in an attempt to fulfill the promises made in his platform.

The most important platform goal to Young is establishing the Student Empowerment Endowment, to which he will donate his student body president stipend and raise more funds to encourage student initiatives.

When questioned about his Cabinet candidates, Young was reluctant to make any specific decisions.

"I have thought about a few people, but the positions are open to everyone," he said.

"I encourage everyone to apply."

Young said applications for Cabinet positions as well as the positions of student body vice president, secretary and treasurer are available on the student government Web site at http://www.unc.edu/student/orgs/studgov.

He plans to use his immediate time to spread the word about these positions and encouraging people to apply.

"The opportunity is available to apply and I hope to pick the best bunch for student government," he said.

Young plans to make a few changes in the Cabinet by adding a new minority affairs advisor and a committee on public service and advocacy.

The new student minority affairs chairman will aid Young in reflecting the diversity of the campus within student government.

The committee on public service and advocacy will focus on the University's goals of community involvement.

"I want it to help student government get back involved in service," he said.

"I want us to take part in public service."

Aiding Young in his adjustment to office will be Jessica Triche, a member of his campaign staff, who also will serve as Young's transition chairwoman.

Young said the other members of his campaign staff will play an advisory role throughout his transition period and administration.

Young said he hopes to have an administration that is as active as he and his campaign staff were during the past few weeks.

"The biggest challenge for me now is making sure to uphold and maintain diversity in student government," he said.

"The campaign season is one of the most active for student government, but I want to continue to use this activity throughout my administration."

Although Young is thinking ahead to his term as student body president, he remains surprised and pleased with his win.

"I didn't know I had a job until last night, and I won by such a close margin," he said.

"My predominant emotion is excitement and joy, but I need some sleep."

The University Editor can be reached at udesk@email.unc.edu.