4 UNC Fencers Qualify For NCAA Tournament

The championships, hosted by Wisconsin-Parkside, will be held at the Sports and Activities Center in Parkside, Wisconsin this weekend.

Baseball to Play Doubleheader

Tuesday's UNC baseball game against Towson was cancelled due to rain. The Tar Heels and the Tigers will play a doubleheader on Wednesday at Boshamer Stadium. The first game will start at 2:30 p.m.

Athletes Open Outdoor Track Season

North Carolina's men's and women's track team took a handful of athletes to the Charlotte 49ers Classic this past weekend to compete in their first meet of the outdoor season.

Jill Pedretti won the javelin with a throw of 137-5 and Amy Parulis placed fourth (120-5). Parulis set a new UNC school record in the hammer throw with a mark of 166-6, to finish third overall. Ibiene Bilaye-Benibo had a personal best of 164-11 to take fourth in the hammer throw and Pedretti placed fifth (157-3). Jackie Myers took second in the discus with a toss of 151-0.

John Ridgway finished fourth in the shot put with a mark of 49-6 1/4. Mike Cvelbar finished fourth in the discus with a throw of 144-8 and Ian Douglas placed fifth in the hammer (176-0).

Cvelbar will travel to Florida State this week to compete in the decathlon, while the Tar Heels gear up for their first outdoor home meet of the 2001 season. UNC will host Duke, St. Augustine and N.C. State in the Challenge Cup.

2 Tar Heels Qualify for NCAAs

A pair of swimmers from North Carolina will begin competition Thursday in the NCAA Men's Swimming & Diving Championships.

For the second year, North Carolina's Stephen Mohr and Sean Quinn have qualified to swim in the championships.

Mohr will swim three events at the championships, while Quinn will compete in two. The championships will be held Thursday through Saturday at Texas A&M in College Station, Texas.

Women's Indoor Track Earns Honor

The North Carolina women's track & field team was named the United States Track Coaches Association's (USTCA) top team in the country. The USTCA Power ranking results are based a team's total performance for the indoor season. This includes the quality of a team's performance against other competitors, team depth and dual meet scoring potential.

"Carolina has great depth," UNC coach Dennis Craddock said. "This achievement is great not only for the coaches and athletes but the University as well."