Aldermen Approve Carr Mill Mall Courtyard, ATM

Nathan Millan, who attended the meeting as a representative from the Carr Mill Limited Partnership, fielded questions and concerns from the aldermen.

The Carr Mill Mall Conditional Use Permit will allow the owners to add more usable space and bring more entertainment to the public.

The mall's CUP, a permit required for those who want to build in an area of interest, was last modified by the board in 1990 when owners of the Carr Mill Mall wanted to expand the courtyard area.

But the 1990 plans for a retail area were not started, and mall officials opted to change the plan, requiring permission from the aldermen.

Alderman Diana McDuffee said Carr Mill Mall's 1990 CUP was initially for the development of retail stores and offices in the courtyard on 200 N. Greensboro St.

"The retail stores and offices were going to be built in the area between CVS pharmacy and Elmo's Diner," McDuffee said.

McDuffee said the board decided to pass the Carr Mill Mall CUP for the second time because the proposal fit all the necessary criteria and would add life to the area.

"The plan met all requirements and it also uses good space," she said.

"I think it will be attractive and will connect the parts of the mall better."

Development Review Administrator Chris Murphy said the project includes four parking spaces, two outdoor sales kiosks and an automatic teller machine.

"The four new parking spaces are to add more accessible space to the lot," Murphy said.

"The kiosks will be for seasonal venders such as the Girl Scouts."

Millan, the managing agent of Carr Mill Mall, said the proposed kiosks are also to add color to the courtyard.

"The kiosks will be used to create more excitement to the courtyard," Millan said.

Millan also said the ATM has not yet been given to any particular bank.

But Millan said the exterior ATM aims to make things easier for the public.

"There is an ATM inside (the mall), but it is not always accessible," he said.

At the meeting, Alderman Jacquelyn Gist expressed her concern about the safety of people using the ATM and if it would be in a visible space.

Millan said the ATM, which will be accessible after mall hours, will be located in a well-lit area.

"The ATM will be near a light post," he said.

McDuffee said the actual date for the expansion of the courtyard is not known, but it will be in the near future.

"They are going to start work as soon as possible."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.