Baseball Swept by 'Noles

FSU came from behind to win Sunday's game 8-7, handing UNC its sixth conference defeat in as many games.

Down 5-3 in the sixth, No. 15 FSU

(23-6, 8-1 in the ACC) scored four unearned runs in the inning to take a 7-5 lead.

After UNC (16-11, 0-6) tied the game in the seventh on a balk and a sacrifice fly, the 'Noles put the winning run on the board in the bottom half.

A Jeff Probst single scored Karl Jernigan with the winning run.

Saturday, FSU scored five runs in the first two innings and starter Marc LaMacchia (5-0) shut out the Tar Heels for five innings as the Seminoles eased past UNC 12-6.

The Seminoles opened up the series Friday with a 3-0 shutout, as Blair Varnes (4-1) scattered nine hits over eight innings.

The Tar Heels outhit FSU 10-4, but FSU scored twice on Dennis Robinson (1-1) in the fifth with two sacrifice flies.

Fencing Finishes 17th in NCAAs<\\b>

The North Carolina fencing team finished the 2001 NCAA Championships in Kenosha, Wisc., on Sunday in 17th place with 35 team points.

St. John's won the title with 180 points.

The top individual finisher for UNC was Kim Treiber who finished in eighth place in women's sabre with 14 points. Elizabeth Athanas was 13th in women's epee with 12 points.

Kees Van der Wege finished 24th in men's epee with six points and John Smith placed 24th in men's sabre with three points.

Softball Falls in Buzz Classic<\\b>

The North Carolina softball team advanced to the semifinals of the Buzz Classic on Sunday in Marietta, Ga., before falling to California 8-0 in six innings.

The Tar Heels beat Ohio State 3-1 in nine innings to reach the semifinal matchup with the Golden Bears.

Big Ten Romps in Regatta<\\b>

The North Carolina women's rowing team won once -- the novice eight's victory against Ohio State -- during Saturday's ACC/Big Ten Regatta in Charlottesville, Va.

UNC's novice eight, undefeated coming into the regatta, provided the day's highlight in the morning session, winning with a time of 7 minutes, 9.6 seconds to Ohio State's 7:11.9.

The Big Ten boats swept the ACC in the premier event, the varsity eight.

North Carolina will compete next on April 7-8, when the Tar Heels travel west for the San Diego Crew Classic.

Men's Golf at E-Z-GO Invite<\\b>

The North Carolina men's golf team sat in 13th place Saturday with one round remaining in the Schenkel E-Z-GO Invitational.

Final results were not available at press time.

UNC's Dustin Bray sat in second place, one stroke back at the the Forest Heights Country Club in Statesboro, Ga.