Board Clarifies Transfer Policy Guidelines

The board approved two proposed clarifications at the meeting. One will allow the principal and, possibly, the superintendent to approve all transfer appeals. The other change will prevent students from transferring schools for athletic purposes.

Board member David Kolbinski said the changes to the policy, which has not been updated since 1984, were not controversial and faced no real objections.

"It is just housekeeping to go through our policy," Kolbinski said. "We just reiterated the guidelines by which the superintendent and principal will make the decisions."

Since 1984, the transfer appeals have been sent to the director of student services and then to the board.

Superintendent Randy Bridges said the main difference in the policy is that appeals now will be handed first to the principal, then to the director of student services and, finally, to the superintendent. The reasons that a student would be allowed to transfer did not change, he said.

"It's basically the same policy," Bridges said. "The transfers will still only be granted for extreme and unusual circumstances. We realize that it is difficult to define hardship, so we try to do it on a case-by-case basis."

Board member Delores Simpson said students might be considered for a transfer into the district for medical reasons, hardship or if they move into the district.

The clarifications were made this year because Orange County Schools will begin redistricting plans next year. Administrators expect an increase in the amount of transfer requests because of the redistricting.

"Some parents would like their kids to go to other schools because it is more convenient," said Helen Austin, administrative assistant for the superintendent. "But you must go to school in the district in which you live."

The board also voted to add a line to the policy stating transfers will not be granted for the purpose of participating in athletics at a school outside the student's attendance area.

Bridges said the athletic issue was addressed because Orange County has plans to open a new high school next year.

"We are about to go from a one high- school system to a two high-school system," Bridges said. "We thought it was a good idea to go ahead and add that in just to clarify."

Kolbinski said it is necessary to have a policy saying that students in the school district who live in the attendance area must attend that area's school.

"It is necessary in terms of organizing a school system and keeping numbers of students equal in the schools."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.